It’s great news you’d like to know more about our Rising Star Awards.
To be named a Rising Star, you need to:
Be working in the industry
Be aged between 18-30
Know what you need to advance your career
Ready to accelerate your career path?
All application forms will be reviewed and assessed to the Awards criteria and a proportion shortlisted for interview. The application is our first, and only impression of you, so please consider your answers carefully.
Interviews will be approximately 40 minutes via video call and will seek to get to know the applicant and their reasons for application. Key dates are highlighted below. For those applicants successfully awarded, funds are transferred either to you or your training provider approximately one month before required and receipts are required within 7 days of funds receipt.
Becoming a Rising Star Award winner will give you access to our alumni group and allow you to keep in touch with the Charity on a long term basis. It’s important for us to follow your journeys and see the impact of our support.
Before you apply
Before you complete your application, please consider
- Have you discussed your development and your proposed training with your manager, mentor or HR department? We recommend asking someone, even a trusted colleague or friend, if they agree on the value of the proposed courses to you and your career path.
- You can only receive a Rising Star Award once, so please ensure this is the right time for you, and you have completed your research on what’s right for you and your future.
- Grants cannot replace or supplement employer's training costs. Please consider if you are seeking funding for a core skill integral to your role, or if the benefit of the training may be more for the organisation than yourself. Please talk about your ideas with your employer, as they may be able to fund this for you and help you choose alternatives that really are for you and your personal development.
- Our application form cannot be saved, we recommend you click through and make a note of the questions to draft them offline.
- Please research the training or equipment you are requesting before you complete your application as you will need to provide specific details such as start date, cost and web links
- Include VAT in the pricing for each item requested
- Please note, our preferred vendor for equipment is Argos. We ask that you check their website first for the cost of any equipment. We will only consider an alternative vendor where the item is not stocked by Argos, is significantly more expensive than another retailer or where you propose second hand equipment.
- We will ask you for a headshot photograph as part of your application, so please make sure you have one to hand. If you are successful, this headshot will be used on our website, social media and in our marketing materials. Your headshot should include:
- Your head and shoulders
- Be taken against a white background
- Not a selfie
- Of a good resolution (minimum 1MB).
- Don't forget to smile!
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible to apply?
The Rising Star Awards are open to:
- Those who have a ‘right to reside’ in the UK
- Those aged 18-30 at the time of your application
- Individuals working in the print, paper, publishing, and packaging sectors
- Individuals studying for sector-specific qualifications
- Don’t worry, there’s no limit to the number of applications we can receive from one organisation
What will you consider applications for?
We will consider applications for a wide variety of training, development, equipment, professional accreditations and memberships, where applicants can demonstrate they are beneficial to their personal and career development.
- Please note, we cap laptop funding requests at £500.
- If you are requesting the renewal or replacement of a professional membership, item of equipment etc, please tell us how you have funded this in the past and why you are requesting the Charity’s support to do so now.
- Applications should allow for training to be completed by 31/12/2021
Is there anything you won't consider applications for?
Yes, we won’t support
- Incomplete application such as one-line answers on the forms and incorrect cost breakdowns
- Applications from past Print Futures Award winners
- Overseas study costs
- University tuition fees
- Living expenses for those completing Masters qualifications
- University/college project costs
- Applications that appear to fund a hobby
- Courses we feel your employer could/should be funding
- The awards are not designed to support business start-ups unless there is a clear and proven training element where skills are being passed on to new audiences (such as where there is a community benefit).
- The Charity does not support applications for living or travel costs for paid or unpaid internships where they are not confirmed. The applicant must have an agreed internship offer and provide a detailed breakdown of the benefit this internship will provide and how they intend to cover any shortfall in their living and travel costs.
2021 Rising Star Award Key Dates
- 7th January 2021 Applications open
- 7th March 2021 Applications close
- W/c 15th March candidates shortlisted for interview will be requested to book their interview
- W/c 15th March candidates unsuccessful in gaining an interview will be notified
- W/c 22nd March and w/c 29th March video call interviews will take place
- w/c 12th April all interviewees will be advised if they are successful or unsuccessful in gaining an award
- w/c 3rd May Award payments will commence