Our Sheltered Homes

For people in retirement.

Independent living for print people in retirement.

Located in Basildon and Bletchley, our sheltered homes offer one bedroom, self-contained apartments for people in their retirement years.  If you are looking for a supportive, safe and affordable environment where you can live independently as well as get involved in organised events with your fellow neighbours, please get in touch.

To be eligible you’ll need to be able to show that you have worked in our sector for at least three years’ or be directly related to someone who has. You’ll also need to be of retirement age and able to live independently. Our sector includes lots of areas so do ask if you are unsure but as a guide the main ones you could have worked in are print, packaging, paper, graphics or publishing.

If you, or someone you know may be interested in living in one of our homes, email us at support@theprintingcharity.org.uk to find out more. Our welfare team will help answer any questions and talk you through the application process.

Our Managers and their teams are on hand weekdays to check in with residents, and to be a point of contact should you need.

Here’s what’s on offer:

  • one-bedroom, self-contained apartments on either ground or first floor
  • spacious living room with either a Juliette balcony or patio,shower room in all apartments
  • fitted kitchen with oven, hob and space for fridge and washing machine
  • laundry room
  • lift to first floor with wheelchair access
  • good sized and well maintained communal gardens
  • off-street parking
  • community alarm service for evenings and weekends
  • close to bus and transport links with access to local amenities
  • organised and ad-hoc events for those wishing to get more involved

Southwood Court


Beaverbrook House


Click to download 


How do I apply?

We will guide you through the application process and once we have gone through some general eligibility criteria questions we’ll arrange for you to visit the home you are interested in.  This will help you to see if it is the right environment for you and for us to get to know you a little better.

As part of the application, we will need to look at your financial position, including any savings and assets as well as looking at potential housing benefit or other benefits you may be eligible for.

What if I don’t need the accommodation right away?

Even if you don’t  feel quite ready to move now , it’s worth registering your interest so you don’t lose out in future.

Is there a long waiting list and will I be means tested?

Each year we have apartments available and our priority is usually for those with limited financial means, however, we will consider other reasons and look at each application on its own merit. If for whatever reason we aren’t able to help, we’ll do our best to suggest other avenues of help.

Can I have support with my living needs?

Residents’ should be able to live independently and without assistance when they first move in, but we realise that health  changes over time, and care needs may develop.  We are not a care home and as your needs change we will work with you and your family to find the right support and facilities for you, including alternative accommodation that best meets your needs.

“We moved in after struggling to cope at our former family home. We absolutely love it as we are still doing what we like to do and enjoy the independent living, especially knowing there is a helping hand close by.” – Residents

Independent advice about your housing options in retirement is also available from the Elderly Accommodation Counsel and its associate, Housing Care.